These delicious sandwiches with BBQ tempeh, figs, onion marmalade and arugula are a great meal that you'll want to enjoy again and again. Awesome flavors in tasty sandwich form - who could ask for more?
BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches With Stewed Fig, Onion Marmalade and Arugula [Vegan]
For the marmalade:
- 1 1/4 cups dried figs
- 4 red onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
For the tempeh:
- One 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 4 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 2 handfuls arugula
- For the marmalade, dice the figs and slice the onions into thin rings. Put the olive oil in a hot cast-iron saucepan and add the figs, onions, cinnamon, salt and bay leaf and sweat them for 5 minutes over indirect heat. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar and 2/3 cup water and cook over low heat for 40 minutes.
- Cut the tempeh into slices 0.39-inches thick, blanch for 10 minutes in boiling water, then drain.
- Mix the soy sauce, oil and paprika and marinate the tempeh slices in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Cook the tempeh over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
- Cut the rolls open and spread each cut side with 1 tablespoon vegan cream cheese. Fill each with the arugula and tempeh and top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fig and onion marmalade.
The marmalade is also very good if prepared beforehand and can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.