These delicious sandwiches with BBQ tempeh, figs, onion marmalade and arugula are a great meal that you'll want to enjoy again and again. Awesome flavors in tasty sandwich form - who could ask for more?
BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches With Stewed Fig, Onion Marmalade and Arugula [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches With Stewed Fig, Onion Marmalade and Arugula [Vegan]
For the marmalade:
- 1 1/4 cups dried figs
- 4 red onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
For the tempeh:
- One 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 4 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 2 handfuls arugula
How to Prepare BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches With Stewed Fig, Onion Marmalade and Arugula [Vegan]
- For the marmalade, dice the figs and slice the onions into thin rings. Put the olive oil in a hot cast-iron saucepan and add the figs, onions, cinnamon, salt and bay leaf and sweat them for 5 minutes over indirect heat. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar and 2/3 cup water and cook over low heat for 40 minutes.
- Cut the tempeh into slices 0.39-inches thick, blanch for 10 minutes in boiling water, then drain.
- Mix the soy sauce, oil and paprika and marinate the tempeh slices in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Cook the tempeh over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
- Cut the rolls open and spread each cut side with 1 tablespoon vegan cream cheese. Fill each with the arugula and tempeh and top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fig and onion marmalade.
The marmalade is also very good if prepared beforehand and can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.