This lentil chili is packed with flavor and easy to make. A hearty yet healthy vegan chili made with a few simple ingredients. BBQ spices, sauce, onions, vegetables, and lentils. A quick slow cooker recipe, just dump and go. A fiber and protein rich meal that will feed plenty. Gluten-free and grain free.
BBQ Slow Cooker Lentil Chili [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 16-ounce bag of lentils
- 2/3 cup diced onion - red or white
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2-3 teaspoons of barbecue rub or seasoning
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup of diced bell peppers (extra for topping)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes or canned tomatoes (drained)
- 2-4 tablespoons spicy BBQ sauce mixed in (optional)
- Sea salt/black pepper to taste (optional)
- Protein Option: BBQ tempeh, tofu, vegan burgers (These options might not be gluten free though so read labels).
- Toppings of choice: cilantro, roasted pumpkin seed, red chili flakes nutritional yeast, etc.
- First make sure your vegetables are chopped and lentils are rinsed.
- Pour the lentils in a strainer and rinse thoroughly. Next Place the rinsed lentils in your slow cooker. Add 1 1/2 to 2 times as much broth as lentils, anywhere between 3-4 cups.
- Add in your onion, oil, tomato, BBQ sauce, and other vegetables, such as chopped peppers and garlic. Mix all together.
- Next add your molasses and seasoning. Add salt and pepper the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking.
- Cook on high for three to four hours. Low around 5. Checking halfway through cooking and mixing. Taste halfway and adjust seasoning (more if needed). If you are using green/black lentils, they will probably take closer to 4 hours and hold their shape. Red/orange lentils don't hold their shape as well as the green/black. Which makes them great for thick chili/stew. If chili is too thick at halfway point, add more broth.
- Add optional protein in last 30-45 minutes of cooking.
- Once cooked, serve and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds, cilantro, more chopped bell pepper, red pepper flakes, and optional nutritional yeast.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.