This recipe is a BBQ-lovers dream. The smoky, tangy, slightly sweet barbecue sauce is slathered over meaty jackfruit, fired up in a pan, and then topped off with some guacamole and thrown between two pieces of bread to make a crazy-good sandwich.
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoon white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons date syrup
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon red chili flakes
- A pinch of sea salt & black pepper
- 1 can brined jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- Gluten-free buns
- First prepare the BBQ sauce by placing the chopped onion into a heated pan
- Add a dash of water and sauté it for a few minutes.
- Once it’s cooked, add in the remaining ingredients and simmer them, on low, for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce into a jar and store it in the refrigerator.
- Now, drain and rinse your jackfruit and cut off the inner parts.
- Place the remaining jackfruit into a heated pan and use forks to pull the fruit pieces into strings.
- Add enough of the BBQ sauce to cover every piece of the jackfruit and simmer this, on low, for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve it in a sandwich with guacamole on top.