This lasagna is the lasagna of your dreams. It's bursting with a barbecue mushroom filling, vegan béchamel sauce and no-boil lasagna noodles, this dish is bubbly, cheesy, decadent and oh, so classy. Reprinted with permission from Southern Vegan by Lauren Hartmann, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Lauren Hartmann and Julie Grace
Barbecue Mushroom Lasagna [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Mushroom Lasagna [Vegan]
Barbecue Mushroom Filling:
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs (1.1 kg) cremini mushrooms, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (240 ml) store-bought vegan barbecue sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth
For the Béchamel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (60 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (720 ml) nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup (15 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
For the Lasagna:
- 16 no-boil lasagna noodles
How to Prepare Barbecue Mushroom Lasagna [Vegan]
- To make the barbecue mushroom filling, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic and onion. Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper. Sauté for about 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released all their liquid and they are starting to brown. Reduce the heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the barbecue sauce and broth. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sauce is very thick and the mushrooms are soft and brown. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Set the filling aside.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk the flour into the butter to form a roux. Whisk the milk into the roux until there are no lumps left. Add the nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking frequently, until the sauce is thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- In the bottom of a 13 x 9–inch (33 x 23–cm) baking dish, evenly spread out one-fourth of the mushroom filling. Spoon one-fourth of the béchamel sauce on top of the mushrooms, spreading the sauce out as evenly as possible. Place lasagna noodles on top of the béchamel, completely covering the sauce.
- Repeat this process of layering mushrooms, béchamel sauce and noodles to create three layers of noodles. End with a layer of mushrooms and béchamel on top.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C). Let the lasagna sit for 15 to 20 minutes while the oven preheats so the noodles can start absorbing the sauce.
- Bake the lasagna for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked through and the lasagna is bubbly on top. (Check the instructions on the package of lasagna noodles. Cooking times may vary.)
- Let the lasagna cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.