The cupcakes are made with whole wheat flour, mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut sugar, baking soda and vanilla extract. The frosting is made with vegan butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a bit of soy milk. So scrumptious!
Banana Cupcakes With Vanilla Frosting [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick vegan butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons soy milk
- naturally dyed rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place paper baking cups in each of cup of a regular-size muffin pan, or spray muffin pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the coconut sugar and applesauce and beat together.
- Add the water and vanilla and continue to mix.
- Add the flour and baking soda mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into muffin pan filling each cup about two thirds full.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes completely cool down before adding the frosting.
- Once cooled, add frosting and decorate with sprinkles.
- In a bowl, mix the vegan butter and sugar with an electric mixer on low speed.
- Stir in the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the soy milk. The consistency of the frosting should be smooth and spreads easily.
- If the frosting is too thick, gradually mix in more soy milk to the frosting a few drops at a time. If the frosting is too thin, then mix in more powdered sugar to the frosting little by little until desired consistency.