Whenever you can’t decide which tasty vegan treat to bake, go for vegan banana & chocolate muffins. We guarantee – they’re the universal fit for each and every occasions. These muffins are sweet, moist and satisfying. And, yes, loaded with bananas!
Banana Chocolate Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
- 4 small (or 2 large) ripe bananas (they’re ripe if covered with small, black spots)
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup of plant-based milk (rice, soy, almond etc.) or water (it’ll taste better with the plant milk, though)
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- a sprinkle of salt
- 100g of dark chocolate for topping
- optional: you can add oats, blueberries, seeds or nuts to the batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, leaving some texture.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir well.
- Add wet ingredients – milk and olive oil. Stir well. The batter should be nice and runny. If it’s too dry, add more plant milk/water.
- Prepare a paper lined muffin tin (or grease it well if you don’t have the paper). Fill 3/4 of each muffin cup. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While muffins are cooling, melt the chocolate. Fill a saucepan with 1/5 of water. Bring to boil and put a smaller heatproof bowl in the saucepan. Chop the chocolate and put it into the smaller bowl. Make sure that water doesn’t get into the bowl with chocolate. Stir occasionally until the chocolate melts.
- When muffins are cooled, decorate them with melted chocolate. You can also sprinkle them with some extra nuts or seeds.