These patties are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Zucchini, onions, salsa, and spices to complement the earthiness of the amaranth. Serve these on a bun like you would with a burger, or on a bed of leafy greens, with salsa and vegan sour cream.
Baked Zucchini and Amaranth Patties [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup amaranth seeds
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 shredded onion
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (cannellini or great northern), or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or breadcrumbs (gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- Vegan sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a pot on the stove, place the amaranth and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer, uncovered, until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place white beans in a large bowl and smash with a potato masher or fork until mostly broken down (a few whole beans left is fine).
- Add all remaining ingredients to the white beans, including the amaranth once it's cooked and cooled enough to handle. Mix well.
- Form into patties and place onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, flip the patties over and bake another 10 minutes, until crispy on both sides.
- Serve with salsa and vegan sour cream, if using.
You can dice the onion small instead of shredding if you wish.