Golden brown and crispy, this recipe is so satisfying and easy to make! Baked in the oven, or you can choose to fry it in the pan. Either way you will get the crispy finish you desire.
Easy Baked Tofu With Coconut Panko Breadcrumb Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 14-ounces extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons of garbanzo bean flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or you could use sweetened)
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat the oven. to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Press the tofu with a clean kitchen towel to remove the water. Cut the tofu into 2 inch squares.
- Prepare the batter by combining the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and water in a mixing bowl. The texture will be on the thicker side like a pancake batter.
- If too thick, add more water.
- Put the panko breadcrumbs and shredded coconut onto a large plate and combine.
- Coat each piece of tofu in the batter, removing excess. Add to the coconut panko breadcrumbs and cover completely. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with lime wedges and your favorite chili sauce.