These ring-shaped doughnuts are infused with Chinese dried sweet osmanthus flowers and Oolong tea and then are baked to perfection and not fried. When you are baking these doughnuts, your kitchen will be filled with nice aroma of sweet osmanthus flowers and Oolong tea. This recipe is not only gluten-free but vegan, nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free. All the deliciousness of doughnuts without all the unhealthy parts!
Baked Osmanthus and Oolong Tea Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Doughnuts (Dry Ingredients):
- 6 1/3 cups gluten-free white bread flour
- 1.4 ounces dried osmanthus flowers, ground into powder in a food processor (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Doughnuts (Wet Ingredients):
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon Oolong tea (recipe below)
For the Oolong Tea:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Oolong tea leaves
- 4 cups water
For the Glaze:
- Some pure maple syrup
For the Sprinkles:
- 3 tablespoons dried osmanthus flowers
- Vegan butter to grease the pan
To Brew the Oolong Tea:
- Add Oolong tea leaves and 4 cups water into a small pot. Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Let the tea leaves continue to infuse in the covered pot for another 5 minutes. Then drain the tea leaves and set aside to cool. You need 2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon of Oolong tea for the bread dough.
To Make the Doughnut Batter:
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, whisk until combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, add in all the dry ingredients including the yeast.
- Attach the mixing bowl to an electric mixer and then attach the dough hook. Using low speed, mix for about 30 seconds or until ingredients are well combined.
- Continue on low speed, gradually pour the wet ingredients mixture in step 1 into the well in the large bowl for about 2 minute.
- Stop mixing and then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low setting for another 5 minutes or until dough is well combined.
To Bake the Doughnuts:
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 375°F.
- Grease all the doughnut pans with some vegan butter.
- Spoon and fill each doughnut pan with some batter until nearly the edge for each pan.
- Bake the doughnuts for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in doughnut pans for 5 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack.
To Glaze and Sprinkle the doughnuts:
- Using a baking brush, glaze the smooth side of each doughnut with some pure maple syrup.
- Sprinkle all the glazed doughnuts generously with some dried osmanthus flowers.
- Best served warm or at room temperature.
Dried osmanthus flowers and Oolong tea can be purchased from Asian groceries stores or online.
- Tea Infused