Eggplant is downright delicious and it’s such a versatile vegetable that can be cooked in so many ways. It is also an important antioxidant vegetable that makes a wonderful addition to your diet. It is loaded with vitamins A, B, C, folate, and minerals like potassium. It is rich in dietary fiber, contains no fat, and is low in calories. How perfect, right? Most eggplant fries are deep fried, but I did find a great one at Dianne’s Dishes. I used her method for cutting the fries because I definitely needed a visual on that. Thank you Dianne for this and for my recipe inspiration.
Baked Eggplant Fries [Vegan]
For the Fries:
- 1 eggplant, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
For the Dip:
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh black pepper to taste
To Make the Fries:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two large baking sheets with a non-stick baking mat or parchment paper.
- Cut the top and bottom off of your eggplant. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and then into quarters. Next, cut the eggplant quarters into slices roughly 1/4-inch thick. Now cut the eggplant slices into strips roughly the size of French fries.
- Combine yogurt, parsley, garlic powder, paprika, ground cumin, onion powder, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Toss eggplant fries in soy yogurt mixture, coating evenly.
- Place breadcrumbs on a plate and lightly coat eggplant fries with breadcrumbs. Spread out evenly on trays making sure they don’t touch. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Turn halfway during baking to brown evenly. Serve immediately with lemon dill dipping sauce.
To Make the Dip:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour to chill and allow flavors to combine.
For dip: You can add cut up cucumber to this to make it traditional Tzatziki Sauce.