Taco Tuesday just got better and it's because of these Baja-style tacos. Tofu is marinated in an umami sauce before being coated with a cornmeal coating and baked until crispy. It's then wrapped in a soft tortilla with crunchy cabbage, creamy avocado, and a garlicky lime sauce. Top with Sriracha if you like things spicy.
Baja Tofu Tacos [Vegan]
For the Tofu Marinade:
- 1/2 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
For the Tofu Coating:
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- A pinch of salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain vegan yogurt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 onion
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cracked pepper
- Salt, to taste
- A large handful fresh cilantro
For the Tacos:
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 tortillas
- Press tofu to get out any extra liquid. Slice in half, and then slice one of the halves into 1 1/4-inch thick pieces. Slice each of those pieces into three, ultimately ending up with 12 pieces.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together water, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Add tofu and let marinate for at least a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, add cornmeal, flour, Old Bay seasoning, and salt. Mix until incorporated. Line a baking sheet. One at a time, remove the tofu pieces from the marinade and coat with the cornmeal mixture. Spread out pieces on baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, until coating has lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, Add mayonnaise, yogurt, lime juice, onion, garlic, Sriracha, cumin, pepper, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add cilantro and pulse for a few seconds. If the mixture is too thick for drizzling, cut with a tablespoon or two of water.
- To assemble the tacos, Add cabbage, a couple slices of avocado, the tofu, then the sauce on a grilled tortilla.