Who knew traditional Spanish flavors and fall squash could meld so beautifully together?! This Autumn vegetable paella has all of your fall favorites – Delicata squash, button mushrooms, cauliflower, pumpkin seeds – seasoned with diced tomatoes, yellow onions, paprika, and saffron for a dish that is bursting with Spanish flair. This paella is perfect for bringing to a potluck or batch cooking for a week of healthy meals.
Autumn Mushroom and Squash Paella [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Autumn Mushroom and Squash Paella [Vegan]
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 1 cup White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 delicata squash, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, for topping
- Pumpkin seeds or roasted butternut squash seeds, for topping (optional)
How to Prepare Autumn Mushroom and Squash Paella [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice the delicata squash in half and remove seeds with a spoon. Then, slice squash into 1/2-inch slices. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then spread across a baking sheet. Do with same with the cauliflower florets and spread across the same baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing once.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon of vegan butter in a large skillet. Add in sliced mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley. Sauté until mushrooms are golden, then remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, add 1-2 more tablespoons of butter and sliced yellow onions. Sauté onions until golden brown.
- Add diced tomatoes into onions and stir to combine. Next, add in 2 cups of brown rice and stir once again to coat. Toast rice for 1-2 minutes, then add in vegetable broth, cinnamon, saffron, and paprika. Stir to evenly disperse liquid and spices. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Cook for 40-45 minutes over medium low heat.
- After almost all of the liquid is absorbed, stir in frozen peas and cooked mushrooms. Cook for another few minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice develops a bit of a crusty the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Top with delicata squash around the edges in a circle, and place the roasted cauliflower in the center. Sprinkle with lots of freshly chopped parsley and pumpkin or squash seeds. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.