We're giving these fajitas a delicious Asian twist, and making a wasabi avocado cream to go with them. You heard that! Wasabi! Which interestingly enough, helps anything with avocado brown less quickly! Who knew!
Asian Seitan Fajitas with Wasabi Avocado Cream [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Asian Seitan Fajitas with Wasabi Avocado Cream [Vegan]
For the seitan and vegetables:
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons neutral tasting oil (canola, safflower, sunflower, etc, plus a bit more for the pan)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 package of seitan (the firmer the better) (about 10-11 ounces)
- 1/2 an onion, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 a green pepper, cut into thick slices
- Salt to taste
For the wasabi avocado cream:
- 1 large, ripe, hass avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 - 1 & 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 whole wheat tortillas, bought or homemade
- Fresh cilantro
- Finely sliced red cabbage
- Extra hoisin sauce for serving if desired
How to Prepare Asian Seitan Fajitas with Wasabi Avocado Cream [Vegan]
- Pre-heat the oven to 410ºF with the broiler setting on, and move the oven rack higher to the top.
- Prepare the marinade for your seitan by whisking together the hoisin sauce, sriracha, oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce.
- Thinly slice the seitan and toss it with the marinade until coated.
- Spread the seitan on a shallow parchment lined baking sheet and broil in the oven for 20-25 minutes until caramelized.
- To prepare the wasabi avocado cream, mash together the avocado, lime juice and add the wasabi and salt slowly to taste until it is to your liking.
- In a pan on high heat, add a drizzle of oil to coat and sauté the onions and peppers until golden and tender. Season with salt to taste.
- Warm up the tortillas in a pan until slightly golden and warmed through.
- To assemble your fajitas, add a bit of the wasabi cream, top with the seitan strips, onions and peppers, add another dollop of the avocado cream, and top with fresh cilantro and the cabbage.
- Serve with extra avocado cream and hoisin sauce if desired and enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.