This vegan eggplant recipe is so delicious and easy to make. The eggplant goes so soft but the marinade goes so sticky - it's basically a match made in heaven!
Asian-Inspired Sticky Eggplant [Vegan]
For the Eggplant:
- 1 eggplant
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 tablespoon of finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 lemon (1 wedge per portion)
- Fresh coriander
- Cooked rice
- Firstly turn your oven on to 400°F.
- In a bowl add your sesame seed oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, pressed garlic clove, grated ginger maple syrup and pepper - mix it well until you have a smooth marinade.
- Then, slice your eggplant length ways so that each slice is around 1/2-inch in thickness. On each slice of eggplant, begin to score it making diamond shapes using a sharp knife, you basically want to pierce the surface of the eggplant but not cut all the way through it - this is to help it cook quicker and so the marinade can get into the eggplant better. It is best to score the eggplant on each side of the slices.
- Begin to cover the eggplant in the marinade and then place on a baking a tray. If there is any marinade leftover, pour the rest onto the aubergine on the baking tray.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for around 20-25 minutes or until the eggplant is soft. In the meantime you can begin to cook your rice or anything else you want to serve your sticky Asian eggplant with.
- Take your tray out of the oven and enjoy!