These Mexican-Asian fusion burritos are full of flavor and addictive crunch. Crispy tofu, apple and red cabbage slaw, and lime infused guac, all wrapped in whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas. Simple, easy recipe perfect for a lunchbox filler or a sharing platter for guests.
Asian Crispy Tofu Burrito [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crispy Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce block firm tofu
- 1 cup bread crumbs (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup cornflour
For the Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw:
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated/spiralized
- 1/8 cup coriander
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Juice of 1 lime
For the Guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 5-6 whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas
- Extra sesame seeds and coriander, for sprinkling
To Make the Tofu:
- Preheat your oven to 390°F and line a baking sheet.
- Firstly drain your tofu and press between two heavy objects for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bread crumbs, almond milk, and cornflour into separate bowls.
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- One by one, dip the tofu into the almond milk, then cornflour, back into the almond milk and finally into the breadcrumbs. Place onto the baking sheet and into the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
To Make the Slaw:
- While the tofu is cooking, simple combine all the slaw ingredients together and massage to release the apple juices and mix everything together. Refrigerate.
To Make the Guacamole:
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl. Mash with a fork or blend with a blender to combine.
- In the center of the tortilla, tightly spread the three fillings in separate rows.
- Fold in both sides of the tortilla and hold with your fingers while you roll the tortilla upwards, tucking in the filling as you roll.
- Serve whole, cut into halves, or wrap in foil for your lunch boxes.