This unique dish is as delicious as it is beautiful. These baked apples are stuffed with a tangy mixture of cranberries, apples, and red cabbage. The vegetable compote on the inside is complimented by the sweetness from the baked apple shell.
Apples Stuffed With Red Cabbage and Cranberries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large apple
- 8 medium apples
- 1 small head red cabbage
- 1/2 cup apple vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Canola oil
- Cranberry jelly
- Shred the cabbage thinly.
- Put the cabbage into a flat saucepan and pour a little water over it. Cook over low heat until it gets soft.
- Grate the large apple on a coarse grater and add it to the cabbage.
- Add the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cranberries, and apple vinegar to the mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook the mixture until the cabbage is tender. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Cut off the tops of the apples and hollow them out.
- Stuff the hollowed apples with the stewed cabbage put a tablespoon of cranberry jelly on the cabbage. Replace the apple top and place the apples into an ovenproof dish.
- Bake the apples at 350°F for 40 minutes basting the apples occasionally with the juice that leaks out from the apples during the baking process.