Try out this delicious apple glaze cake! It's perfect to bring to a friend's house to share, or even enjoy as a dessert during the week. The glaze on this cake takes this recipe to the next level, and the walnuts add a wonderful crunch!
Apple Glaze Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Egg Replacer:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornflour or corn starch
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup veggie oil you can use melted coconut oil also
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 1 large apple
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 347°F. Grease your 6-inch round cake tin with vegetable oil, then line with baking paper and lightly grease with more vegetable oil. Then dust with a small amount of cornflour or starch. Tap upside down to release any excess flour.
- Firstly make your egg replacer, mix the flaxseed with the boiling water and stir. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve all your dry ingredients together and mix together with a whisk.
- In a large jug, mix your soy milk and vinegar together until it thickens. Add remaining wet ingredients, including your flaxseed egg, and mix together really well.
- Thinly slice your apple and place in a small bowl. Cover apple pieces with a tiny amount of your wet ingredients and then cover with a small amount of the dry ingredients. Put aside 2 tablespoons of the flour mix.
- Make a well in the centre of your flour mix and pour in your milk mix. Gently mix together using a whisk until just combined. Pour into your cake tin and gently tap on the bench to release air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the spare flour mix over the top of the batter. Sprinkle 3/4 of the walnuts over the flour. Arrange the apple onto the cake starting from the outside and working your way to the middle.
- Bake on the middle rack in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out almost clean. Remove from oven and allow to sit in the cake tin for 10 mins before turning onto a cooling rack.
To Make the Glaze:
- To make your glaze mix together your icing sugar, water and golden syrup until combined and pour over the top of your cake. Decorate with walnuts.
- Best served with ice cream.
Store this cake in an airtight container NOT in the fridge as it will dry out.