In this recipe, a nutty spelt crust is filled with a warm, gooey apple pecan filling. Cinnamon adds a touch of warmth to the filling of these pastry pies and the crunchy crust serves as a satisfying contrast to the gooey apples within. Serve these pastry pies with a tall, cool glass of almond milk.
Apple and Pecan Spelt Pastry Pies [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour, hilled in refrigerator overnight
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 teaspoons organic rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced into cubes
- 3 teaspoons organic rice malt syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder, mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- A pinch of Celtic sea salt
To Make the Crust:
- Combine the flour and salt in a chilled glass mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil and allow it to cool, and then mix in the rice malt syrup.
- Pour the coconut oil and rice malt syrup mixture into the flour and stir with a wooden mixing spoon.
- Use your hands to squeeze the flour, mixing it further. Eventually little clumps will begin to form and the mixture will begin to stick together.
- Next, add the cold water gradually, and, using your hands, mix the dough by clenching the mixture in your palms. Eventually, you'll be able to form the dough into a large, round solid ball.
- Wrap this ball tightly in plastic wrap and set aside to set for approximately 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a thin sheet.
- Turn on your oven and begin to pre-heat to 390°F.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out as many pairs of hearts as you can, and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Using a brush and water, gently brush each surface and underside of the hearts. This water helps to create a barrier allowing the pastry to cook thoroughly, as well as help the two stick together.
- Place a spoon full of filling in the center of each mold, ensuring you aren't overfilling them.
- Place the top/roof pastry lid on top and use a fork to gently press down the sides.
- Poke a couple of holes on the surface with the fork, as well as brushing the surface of each with a little water.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 390°F convection oven, or until golden brown.
To Make the Filling:
- Peel and cube the apples and place them in a medium pot with the lid on.
- Heat on the stove on a medium heat and add the rice malt syrup.
- Mix the arrowroot powder and water, and add to the apples. This will help the mixture stick together like a sticky caramel.
- Allow the apples to steam/sauté and gradually reduce the heat.
- Add a pinch of salt and when the apples are soft, remove from heat. Place into a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place pecans onto a chopping board and roughly chop them up.
- Add the apple mixture and stir. The filling is now complete and can be added to the heart molds.