In this recipe, a nutty spelt crust is filled with a warm, gooey apple pecan filling. Cinnamon adds a touch of warmth to the filling of these pastry pies and the crunchy crust serves as a satisfying contrast to the gooey apples within. Serve these pastry pies with a tall, cool glass of almond milk.
Apple and Pecan Spelt Pastry Pies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Apple and Pecan Spelt Pastry Pies [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour, hilled in refrigerator overnight
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 teaspoons organic rice malt syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced into cubes
- 3 teaspoons organic rice malt syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder, mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- A pinch of Celtic sea salt
How to Prepare Apple and Pecan Spelt Pastry Pies [Vegan]
To Make the Crust:
- Combine the flour and salt in a chilled glass mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil and allow it to cool, and then mix in the rice malt syrup.
- Pour the coconut oil and rice malt syrup mixture into the flour and stir with a wooden mixing spoon.
- Use your hands to squeeze the flour, mixing it further. Eventually little clumps will begin to form and the mixture will begin to stick together.
- Next, add the cold water gradually, and, using your hands, mix the dough by clenching the mixture in your palms. Eventually, you'll be able to form the dough into a large, round solid ball.
- Wrap this ball tightly in plastic wrap and set aside to set for approximately 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a thin sheet.
- Turn on your oven and begin to pre-heat to 390°F.
- Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out as many pairs of hearts as you can, and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Using a brush and water, gently brush each surface and underside of the hearts. This water helps to create a barrier allowing the pastry to cook thoroughly, as well as help the two stick together.
- Place a spoon full of filling in the center of each mold, ensuring you aren't overfilling them.
- Place the top/roof pastry lid on top and use a fork to gently press down the sides.
- Poke a couple of holes on the surface with the fork, as well as brushing the surface of each with a little water.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 390°F convection oven, or until golden brown.
To Make the Filling:
- Peel and cube the apples and place them in a medium pot with the lid on.
- Heat on the stove on a medium heat and add the rice malt syrup.
- Mix the arrowroot powder and water, and add to the apples. This will help the mixture stick together like a sticky caramel.
- Allow the apples to steam/sauté and gradually reduce the heat.
- Add a pinch of salt and when the apples are soft, remove from heat. Place into a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place pecans onto a chopping board and roughly chop them up.
- Add the apple mixture and stir. The filling is now complete and can be added to the heart molds.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.