This creamy sweet potato soup is the perfect lunch to get you through the week. Sweet potatoes and potatoes are cooked until tender and then puréed with turmeric, curry powder, black pepper, and other warm spices. If you are someone who cannot handle the heat, cut the tang, or spice with a hint of lime juice and a dollop of non-dairy yogurt. Garnish with spices of your choice just before serving.
Anti-Inflammatory Sweet Potato Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of cloves
- 1 tablespoon sweet yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium-sized white potatoes, cubed
- 1 liter low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 cups of hot water
- 1 large zucchini, cut width-wise
- 1 13.66-ounce can lite coconut milk
- Prepare all your vegetables by cleaning, cutting and cubing. Set aside.
- To a large pot, add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Let it heat up briefly, then add your white onion. Let it sweat for around 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add all your seasoning and garlic. Give it a good stir, then add the potatoes.
- Let these cook on medium heat for around 5 minutes to get a nice brown color. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Add your stalk, and water. Bring it up to a boil and then simmer for around 20-25 minutes. Halfway through the simmering process, add your zucchini.
- After 20-25 minutes add your coconut milk. Before adding the soup to the blender, do a fork text to ensure your potatoes are cooked.
- Using a blender of your choice, purée the soup. Garnish with black pepper, lemon juice, and herbs and spices of your choice.