This almond peas curry is spicy, a little tangy, slightly sweet, and full of that yummy curry flavor. It starts with a base of homemade ginger-garlic paste that is infused with tomato, cumin, cinnamon, and bay leaves. The curry is made even creamier by ground almonds and soy cream and flavorful through a wide array of herbs and spices. Whole almonds and peas are the finishing touch. Serve with your favorite flatbread or basmati rice.
Almond Peas Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup almonds, soaked in water overnight, and peeled
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 small piece cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 onions, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 pieces fresh ginger, cubed
- 2 green chilis, roughly chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 3/4 cup tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup cashew cream or soy cream
- 1/4 cup soy milk powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add onion, ginger, garlic, and green chili. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely. Now grind to make a fine paste, and keep aside.
- Heat another pan, then add 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter to it.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, and cumin seeds. When they crackle add onion, homemade ginger-garlic paste and sauté until oil separates
- Add ground almonds and soy milk powder and mix well. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato purée and tomato ketchup and sauté for 3 minutes. Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and salt.
- Add soy cream, milk, and sugar. Mix well and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add peeled almonds, and green peas, and milk and bring to a boil. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and serve hot with any of your favorite flatbreads.