Dark chocolate chips, coconut, and chopped almonds are the key ingredients to these delicious cookies. They're a perfect substitute for any vegan's previously favorite store-bought candy bar. I don't eat Almond Joy bars anymore because they have milk chocolate in them. Even if I weren't vegan, I wouldn't eat them because I've reached the point where I prefer deep, rich, dark chocolate over the milky stuff. These cookies give that Almond Joy fix with the right amount of tastiness involved!
Almond Joy Cookies [Vegan]
3 - 4 dozen
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (or coconut oil)
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups old fashioned or instant oatmeal
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl combine the margarine, almond butter and sugar and use an electric mix (or your vigorous elbow grease) and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground flax seeds, corn starch, dairy-free milk, water, vanilla and coconut extract. Stir until all these ingredients are combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, oatmeal, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add the well-combined flour mixture to the margarine mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add the coconut and chocolate chips and, once again, stir until combined. Note: I like to reserve some of the coconut and mini chocolate chips to press onto the top of each cookie. You know, to make them really stand out!
- Use a cookie dough dispenser or a large tablespoon to drop cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie pan (or one prepared with parchment paper), roughly 2" apart. Top each cookie with extra coconut and mini chocolate chips and place in the heated oven. Bake for 9 - 12 minutes, depending on your preference for doneness.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool a minute or two before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
More images of the recipe can be found here: http://www.namelymarly.com/2014/03/almond-joy-cookies/