Who doesn't love a yummy chocolate chip cookie sandwich? For this particular recipe, coconut whipped cream is sandwiched in between two almond-flour based sugar cookies with cacao nibs thrown in. Besides being delicious, these treats are super fun to make! Make a big batch and have effortless after-dinner dessert for months.
Almond Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cookies:
- 4 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips or cacao nibs
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 13.66-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, set in your refrigerator overnight
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
To Make the Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to form a dough.
- Add chocolate chunks and stir to combine.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the cookies onto your lined baking sheets and press them down with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, switching the racks halfway through, until they're golden and starting to brown on the bottom.
- Remove and let cool.
To Make the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Scoop out the coconut cream that has separated in the can and place it in a medium bowl.
- Using a mixer, whip the coconut cream until peaks start to form. Add maple syrup and almond extract and continue to whip until it resembles whipped cream.
- Stir in the smaller chocolate chunks and place the whipped cream in your fridge to harden.
- When cookies are completely cool and the whipped cream has firmed up, you can make your sandwiches.
- Place a large spoonful of the whipped cream on the underside of a cookie and top with a second cookie. Continue for the remaining cookies. Serve immediately.