Biscotti are the perfect treat for a cool morning with hot tea or coffee! Keep this recipe in mind for the holidays. Biscotti makes a wonderful gift because it looks stunning in a pretty tin, it’s easier to make than you’d think, and it stores and travels beautifully too! Add a lovely note and you’ll be sure to touch someone’s heart the way only handmade gifts can do.
Almond Biscotti [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup vegan butter substitute, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips dairy-free, melted
- To toast the sliced almonds, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spread the almonds out evenly on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye and set the timer to make sure the almonds do not burn.
- When the almonds are done toasting, set them aside and turn up the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk together.
- Stir the toasted sliced almonds into the dry ingredients.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine wet ingredients: almond milk, melted vegan butter substitute, and vanilla extract. Add the cane sugar, and stir to combine.
- In the center of the dry ingredients make a well. Pour the wet ingredients into the well, and gently stir to combine the wet and dry ingredients together, being careful not to over-stir.
- Towards the end of the mixing use your hands to gently knead the dough together. Divide dough evenly in half.
- Form two logs with the dough and place onto the lined baking sheet.
- Using a piece of parchment paper and a rolling pin, gently roll the logs to flatten out slightly. The general size of the logs should be 9 inches x 4 inches x ¾ inch thick.
- Score the logs where you will later cut into biscotti slices. Using a knife make light lines about every ¾ inch.
- This will really help to cut the biscotti when the logs are done baking.
- Bake the logs for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Allow the logs to cool for 10 minutes before handling, and turn the oven down to 325°F.
- With a serrated knife, using a sawing motion cut the biscotti along the score marks.
- Place biscotti cut side up back onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 325°F.
- When the biscotti are cool enough to handle move them to a cooling rack, with a tray or parchment paper underneath to catch chocolate drippings.
- In a double broiler, or in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds, melt chocolate chips.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the biscotti. You can do this one of two ways; either using a spoon, or make a paper cone with parchment paper and add melted chocolate to the cone to spread across the biscotti.
- Allow the biscotti to cool, and the melted chocolate to firm up.
- When the biscotti are completely cooled and the chocolate is firm to the touch, store in an airtight container.