This recipe is quick, easy, and perfect to make on a busy night. The flavors from the simple, pre-cooked ingredients blend seamlessly to form a light meal that is super tasty. Plus, stewed artichokes with fava beans are delicious hot and are lovely served at room temperature so they make great leftovers.
Aginares me Koukia: Greek Stewed Artichokes With Fava Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon garlic (3-4 cloves), chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions or leeks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fava beans from a can
- 10-12 canned or frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 teaspoon crushed, dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 fresh dill plus extra for garnish, chopped
- Saute scallions and garlic in olive oil over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fava beans, drained artichokes, salt, crushed marjoram, and white wine into the pan.
- Cook everything over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add your water and lemon juice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook it uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the dill.
- Gently stir it to combine all the ingredients and allow them to sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the dish hot from the stove, garnished with fresh dill and a wedge of lemon.