With the holidays coming up, the Food Monster team here at One Green Planet has been scouring through our recipe archives, discussing dishes we’re going to make for our Thanksgiving feasts. It can be tricky to navigate a meal if you are going to be around food that doesn’t necessarily match your dietary preferences. Here are some tips from our staff members to help you seamlessly (and deliciously!) add vegan options to your Thanksgiving spread.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App – with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy!
Also, don’t forget to check out our ultimate guide to plant-based recipes for Thanksgiving!
6 Tips From the Food Monster Team
“If someone asks how they can accommodate you, offer simple ingredient swap suggestions like vegan butter for butter in the mashed potatoes and vegetable broth for chicken broth in the stuffing,” says Katie, our Editorial Intern. For Katie’s Thanksgiving get-together, she is making this Wild Rice Pilaf With Butternut Squash Stuffing, pictured above.
Source: Cauliflower Pot Roast
“For my Thanksgiving, it’s all about the side dishes. Stuffing, roasted potatoes, roasted veggies, pies, casseroles, the list goes on! All of which can easily be made vegan. Definitely bringing a dish or two for everyone to try is a great way to introduce others to the amazing food that you eat. Get everyone interested,” says Ally, our Recipes Coordinator. Ally wanted to take a different route from the typical pumpkin pie so she plans to prepare this Raw Blueberry Cheesecake.
“Bring a variety of traditional holiday dishes that are plant-based. Make sure to describe the dish in a way that isn’t intimidating. That way, the guests will be more likely to try it and find out how much they enjoy the food,” says Carrie, in Editorial Operations. Since mashed potatoes are one of her favorite dishes any time of the year, Carrie is planning on cooking this Lentil White Bean and Potato Mash, pictured above, for her Thanksgiving dinner.
“If it’s your first year practicing a new diet, don’t be surprised if friends and family ask you questions about why you have changed the way you eat. Stay calm and try not to get too defensive. The more confident and collected you seem, the more likely they will have a positive reaction to the change,” says Hayley, our Editorial Intern. Hayley is bringing a unique dish to her Thanksgiving celebration. She plans to make these Wild Mushroom and Kale Lasagna Rolls, pictured above, to enjoy with her family.
5. Offer to help the host cook
Source: Decadent Cashew Tiramisu,
“Offer to help cook in the kitchen so that you know exactly what is in all the dishes. That way you don’t have to ask later what all the ingredients are in each dish. You can even suggest substitutions as you are cooking together,” says Ivano, our Interactive Designer. For his Friendsgiving, Ivano plans to make this Decadent Cashew Tiramisu, pictured above, to celebrate his Italian heritage.
6. Invest time in making at least one noteworthy main dish
Source: Tandoor Roasted Cauliflower
“I always end up preparing a lot more than my original plan, but the one thing I always do is make a main dish to help shift the focus of vegan options from the sidelines to center stage,” says Preeta Sinha, our cofounder. This year I’m doing a whole-roasted cauliflower which is similar to this Tandoor Roasted Cauliflower, pictured above, and a lentil-infused stuffing.
Recommended Resources For Thanksgiving:
Check out the following resources:
- Try These 15 Awesome Green Bean Recipes This Thanksgiving!
- 15 Vegan Pasta Sides to Try This Thanksgiving!
- Save Room for Dessert! You Won’t Want to Skip These 20 Amazing Thanksgiving Desserts
- 15 Vegan Seasonal Mashed Vegetable Recipes for Your Thanksgiving Table
- 25 Amazing Vegan Desserts for Your Thanksgiving Table
- 15 Plant-Based Recipes For the Perfect Southern Thanksgiving
- 15 Stunning Thanksgiving Entrées Made With Just Vegetables
- 15 Vegan Small Plates and Starters for Your Thanksgiving Feast
- Make Your Thanksgiving the Best Ever With These 15 Grain-Free Recipes
- 15 Delicious Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- 10 Gorgeous Vegan Gravy Recipes For Your Thanksgiving Menu!
- 5 Great Ideas To Make Your Thanksgiving Drinks Dazzling and Delicious
- 15 Cranberry Recipes For Thanksgiving That Are Vegan!
- Tips and Tricks to Making a Plant-Based Meatloaf For Thanksgiving
- Five Fantastic Vegan Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving!
- 10 Vegan Casseroles Perfect For Your Thanksgiving Dinner
- 7 Delicious Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving Without the Turkey
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.