Tiramisu is one of those classic Italian desserts that everyone loves. All you need is some flour, coffee, cashews, and cocoa powder and you're on your way to quick and easy Italian dessert heaven.
Decadent Cashew Tiramisu [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 3/4 cup raw cashews (no need to soak)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- 1/3 cup freshly brewed espresso, cooled
- Cocoa Powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 347°F. Grease and line a 8x6-inch cookie sheet with baking paper. Set aside.
- Whisk soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl set aside for five minutes to curdle. Sieve the pastry flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk vegan butter, sugar and salt till light and fluffy, about a minute. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate whisking in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, starting with ⅓ of the dry and ending with the last third of the dry mixture.
- Spread mixture out onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. It's okay if you over bake it slightly, it doesn't make a difference.
- Mix coffee, Kahlua and sugar together till the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender, combine cashews, agave, coconut oil, salt, vanilla and soy milk. Blend thoroughly until smooth and silky.
- Divide mixture into half. For vanilla, use first half of mixture and thoroughly whisk in extra 1/4 cup soy milk and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Set aside.
- For Coffee Cream: blend second half of mascarpone mixture with Kahlua and espresso.
- To assemble, have ready a tiramisu dish or individual ramekins/glasses. Cut a piece of sheet cake to fit the bottom of your ramekin or glass. Dip in soaking syrup for just a second or two and place into the bottom of your vessel.
- Top with a layer of vanilla cream and dust with cocoa powder. At this point, freeze for 10 minutes.
- Once out of the freezer, top with a layer of coffee cream. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Repeat process once more – soaked cake, vanilla cream and coffee cream – freezing cream layers for 10 minutes before continuing.
- Once complete, dust the tops of your tiramisu with cocoa powder and leave in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours to firm up before eating.