Boldly, a new plant-based food brand, just announced the launch of a new vegan seafood line featuring salmon and tuna sashimi, calamari, shrimp, crab sticks, and white fish filets. Boldly’s new line will launch through restaurants and food service partnerships in the United States this summer.
Boldly says that its products use cutting-edge innovation to bring the same taste and texture to its vegan products as seafood. The items on the seafood line feature konjac root as the main ingredient. Konjac is commonly used in the production of plant-based seafood.
Vegconomist reported that several of the brand’s products, including calamari, crab sticks, and white fish filets appear to be among the first of such innovations offered in the US plant-based seafood category.
Boldly’s founder, food tech adviser and APAC industry expert Allen Zelden told Vegconomist,
“With the fishing industry fraught with public health issues (mercury contamination, overuse of antibiotics in factory fishing, etc) and threatening the future of marine biodiversity, consumers are increasingly realising the simple fact that there is nothing sustainable about fish farming.
“For all the ‘proclaimed’ health benefits of eating seafood for your brain, heart and skin, and concerns for environmental sustainability and animal welfare rapidly shining the spotlight on alternatives, I believe the time is right for the next evolution of plant-based seafood products.
“The planet is now at a crucial tipping point where the future will either be filled with fishless fish or fishless oceans. Boldly is on a mission to drive consumers towards the right choice with no compromise, bringing classic tastes to the table, better than ever.”
The plant-based food market is booming, and research suggests it could make up 7.7 percent of the global protein market by 2030. With a value of $29.4 billion in 2020, experts suggest that the plant-based foods market could have a value of over $162 billion by the end of the decade.
Check out these vegan seafood recipes you can make at home!
- Trumpet Mushroom ‘Calamari’ [Vegan]
- Tofu ‘Shrimp’ Scampi [Vegan]
- Crispy Tofu and Rainbow Veg Sushi [Vegan]
- Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sandwich [Vegan]
- ‘Salmon’ Salad Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Avocado Sushi Balls [Vegan]
Not Your By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
- How to Make Vegan Sushi at Home
- The Ultimate Guide to Making Vegan Seafood Dishes!
- 15 Vegan Sushi Bowls and Rolls!
- Toxic Mercury Levels in Your Seafood Linked to Overfishing and Climate Change
- 10 Oyster Mushroom Recipes For #OysterDay! Ditch Seafood!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!