Mangos are one of the most popular fruits in the world and it’s no wonder. Sweet, juicy, and delicious, mango adds a burst of color and flavor anywhere it’s used. However, sometimes it can be challenging to know when they are ripe and how to properly cut and prepare them. Luckily, chef Ming Tsai on TikTok shared a step-by-step video letting you in on the best tips!
@chefmingtsai How-to pick, prep, and present #mangos 🥭 #mangochallenge #vegantiktok #howtocook #knifeskills #chefhacks ♬ NOTHING – Westover
As soon as mango is ripe, it will release a captivating sweet aroma. This strong scent is a sign of ripeness. An unripe mango won’t have too much of a scent, and an overripe mango will have a fermented smell. If you find a sweet-smelling, ripe mango, the next step is to touch it and make sure it is soft. If you press on it gently with your fingers, the skin of the mango should give slightly, and you will notice a small dent in the skin. Unripe fruit will not have any give to it, on the other hand. If you want to help your mangos ripen faster, a helpful tip is to store them next to apples or pears, which produce ethylene, the “ripening gas”, says dole.
Once you have your ripe mango, the next step is to cut it. Mangos have a flat pit in their center. You want to cut along the sides of the pit, separating the flesh from the pit. The chef advises that you cut from the top of the mango and continue down one side of the pit. Once you repeat this step on the other side, you can cut the mango in half and use a butter knife to make lengthwise and crosswise cuts in. The final step is to Invert the mango half so the cut segments stick out. Now, you can easily enjoy your mango without all the fuss!
For more on choosing, storing, and using mangos, see New, Fun, and Delicious Ways to Eat Mangoes.
For more food hacks, follow Chef Ming Tsai on TikTok!
- 15 Magnificent Mango Recipes to Try This Summer
- 15 Magnificent Mango Desserts
- 3 Easy Hacks That Will Help You Ripen Fruit Fast
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!