The alkaline diet, also known as the alkaline ash diet or alkaline acid diet has been circulating on TikTok. This diet is based on the idea that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline foods can improve your health. Many people claim that it can help fight disease and cancer, but this isn’t fully backed by science.
TikTok user Keikos Kitchen recommends cutting out meat, dairy, hybrid/GMO foods, processed sugar, wheat products, microwaves, and alcohol. She also recommends drinking a gallon of water every day. According to the rules of the alkaline diet, the metabolic waste that’s leftover from the burning of foods can affect how acidic or alkaline your body is. Fruits, nuts, legumes, soybeans, tofu, and vegetables are the most alkaline, natural fats, starches, and sugars are neutral, and meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, grains, alcohol, and caffeine are acidic.
While this diet may seem enticing, it can be restrictive for some people who are not already plant-based. You’ll be cutting out a lot of foods you may be used to eating such as your morning cup of coffee. While the alkaline diet claims to help your body balance its blood pH level, in reality, there are no miracle foods you can eat that are going to dramatically change the pH of your blood. Your body works to keep that level consistent, says Dr. Melinda.
Overall, there’s no doubt that alkaline foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and drinking lots of water, along with cutting out excess alcohol, caffeine, processed sugar, and animal products is beneficial to your health. While this diet may not shift your body’s pH level, any diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, and whole plant foods is the way to go!
- The Health Benefits of an Alkaline Plant-Based Diet (with Recipes!)
- 15 Healthy, Alkaline Recipes To Recreate!
- 5 Alkaline Plant-Based Foods to Balance Your Body’s pH Levels
- Acid to Alkaline: Naturally Acidic Plant-Based Foods That Alkalize the Body
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!