Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A woman and her friend saved a small dog from North Carolina’s French Broad River after the pup had fallen in and was struggling to stay afloat.
According to the Asheville Humane Society, the woman and her friend were walking when they spotted a small dog run past them. They then watched as he tumbled into the river, terrified. The poor miniature poodle mix was quickly swept under the current and the women jumped immediately to call Asheville Animal Services for help.
However, within minutes, the pup began to go underwater and was not able to hold himself afloat. One of the women heroically dove into the river to pull him out.
“It had stormed the previous day, so the river level was high with powerful currents. The water was freezing,” said Asheville Animal Control Officer Becky Doty. “He was very lucky that the two women were there. They are heroes,” she said. Officer Doty arrived on the scene shortly after the dog was rescued.
The pup was brought back to Asheville Humane where he received a full medical evaluation and was luckily not hurt in the incident. He was then moved to a foster home.
After many news outlets picked up the story, the dog’s owner was located and had been searching for the pup, whose name was Benzo. He was finally reunited with his pup.
“He is now safe and sound with a new microchip to prevent any more misadventures,” wrote the Asheville Humane Society in a Facebook post on Friday.
“Microchips are your pet’s return address!” the shelter added, encouraging followers to get their pets microchipped to increase the chance of reunification.
We are so happy this pooch was reunited with his human! Please consider microchipping your furry friend!
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Tiny Bat Trapped in Bird Netting Is the Sweetest Rescue Patient We Have Ever Seen! [Video]
- Ukraine Lion in Severe Condition After Being Rescued From Russian Shelling
- One Green Planet Collaborates With Conscious Clothing Brand Tiny Rescue on Epic Recycled T-Shirts
- Dog Rescued After 500 Days in Shelter, and Her Joy is Contagious! [Video]
- Couple Rescues Baby Bird at Houston Astros Game
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!