Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The drought has devastated local farmers and has sent people looking for other sources of nourishment, even going as far as to scavenge insects. A huge number of people are currently suffering level five catastrophic food insecurity, and that number is only going to rise as Madagascar goes into its lean season.
WFP Executive Director David Beasley, said, “These are famine-like conditions, and they’re being driven by climate, not conflict.”
Landry Ninteretse, the Africa director for climate advocacy organization, said, “This famine in Madagascar, the heatwave in America, the floods in Germany, this is an indicator that climate change needs to be taken seriously. In the same way, the world reacted to the pandemic and was able to get vaccines in less than a year—If the world would have reacted in the same way when we started sending the first warning signals of Climate change, the situation would be much better than what it is now.”
The famines have become so bad that people are forced to flee to other countries looking for a better quality of life and opportunities.
- New Study Shows Where Flooding Will Impact Americans
- Why Choosing Plant-Based Is the Most Powerful Action to Fight Climate Change
- Top Ten Climate Change Myths and How to Debunk Them
- Why People Should Be Talking About Desertification and the Women It Affects
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!