Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Chipotle Mexican Grill is taking a major leap toward sustainability with their brand-new all-electric restaurant design. This exciting development is part of the company’s commitment to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by half by 2030. Over 100 of Chipotle’s new locations will feature all-electric equipment and other eco-friendly elements, setting the stage for a greener and more environmentally-conscious dining experience.
Source: Chipotle Mexican Grill/Youtube
Already in action in Gloucester, Virginia, and Jacksonville, Florida, the innovative design includes several exciting features aimed at minimizing Chipotle’s carbon footprint. In addition to using electricity instead of gas power, the new design boasts cactus-leather chairs, artwork made from recycled corn husks, biodegradable packaging for food and drinks, smaller cook lines, improved exhaust hoods, and heat-pump water heaters. When possible, some locations will also incorporate rooftop solar panels and electric vehicle charging stations.
Chipotle is not alone in its quest to become more sustainable. Other restaurant chains are also making strides to reduce their environmental impact. Last year, Sweetgreen began promoting menu items with lower carbon footprints, while McDonald’s opened a Disney World location that generates enough renewable energy to power the restaurant. In 2020, Burger King unveiled a restaurant design featuring solar panels.
Laurie Schalow, Chipotle’s Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, acknowledged the company’s responsibility to lessen its environmental impact, stating, “With our aggressive development goal in North America, we hold ourselves accountable to reduce the environmental impact of our restaurants.”
Currently operating over 3,200 locations worldwide, Chipotle has set a long-term goal of opening 7,000 restaurants across North America. The company aims to halve its greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 based on its 2019 baseline of 1.4 million tons of carbon dioxide equivalent across its supply chain and restaurants.
In addition to its innovative restaurant design, Chipotle is also focusing on other sustainability initiatives. These include developing more vegan and vegetarian menu items, increasing local produce purchases to 36.4 million pounds this year, and investing in projects aimed at reducing emissions in beef and dairy production.
As a call to action, consider supporting sustainable businesses like Chipotle by dining at their eco-friendly locations. You can also encourage other restaurant chains to follow suit and adopt sustainable practices. By supporting environmentally responsible companies, you are not only enjoying a delicious meal but also contributing to a greener and healthier planet. Together, we can make a difference, one burrito at a time!
- Plant-Based Tuna Takes on Bay Area with Impact Food Launching at Onigilly Restaurant
- Gordon Ramsay Opens New Restaurant with 60% Meat-Free Menu
- Whole Foods CEO Retiring and Planning to Open Plant-Based Restaurants and Wellness Centers
- 12 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants and Black Vegan Chefs in NYC
- Tibetan Monk Opens Organic Vegan Restaurant in Sacramento, California
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!