Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In Brazil, there is a ship graveyard where abandoned cargo ships stay, and environmental activists are warning that it is an environmental disaster.
In mid-November this year, a huge abandoned cargo ship broke free from its moorings and floated into Latin America’s longest over-water bridge. Brazil’s navy said the 200-meter-long (660-ft.) Sao Luiz was built in 1994 and was anchored for over six years in the bay while it awaited legal proceedings.
Ricardo also pointed to high levels of corrosion and said that the ship is unsafe and could cause an environmental disaster. Unfortunately, this is not the only ship that has been left in Brazil’s ship graveyard. Dozens of ships are left in the polluted bay, which was once home to mangroves and thriving marine ecosystems.
Reuters reported that pollution worsened by the graveyard of ships is threatening local sea horses, green turtles, and Guiana dolphins. A survey earlier this year by the Rio de Janeiro State University found that only 34 Guiana dolphins remain in the bay, compared to the around 800 in the 90s.
We need to make sure that these ships are cleaned up so that marine life can flourish once again!
- Cruise Ship Companies Are Working Towards Finding Cleaner Fuel Sources
- The First “Sustainable” Residential Cruise Ship is Set to Launch in 2025
- Scientists Develop Technology to Reduce Whale-Ship Collisions
- Cruise Ships Traveling to Alaska Are Leaving Behind A Trail of Toxic Waste in Canadian Waters
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!