Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Another avian flu outbreak in Japan has sparked a record-breaking slaughter of 10 million animals in the country as officials attempt to control the spread.
Source: Oneindia News/Youtube
The agriculture ministry announced that 9.98 million birds have been culled this season which passes the previous record from 20202.
The outbreak was confirmed to have spread at an egg farm in Miyazaki that was home to around 100,000 hens. The agriculture ministry said that the disease has been found in at least 23 of the country’s 47 prefectures just this season.
The increasing infection amongst birds is troubling because it increases the possibility of the virus mutating in a way that would infect humans. The influenza virus has historically been behind human pandemics.
The government could be spending that money to prevent future outbreaks by changing factory farming practices and making the bird population more diverse. The real issue is the way that commercial factory farms are run. The industry relies on genetically identical animals confined in inhumanly small spaces. It is now estimated that all nine billion chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. each year can trace their lineage back to a handful of breeds.
These chickens have been manipulated over generations to grow at incredibly unnatural speeds and become larger than they ever have. According to The Humane League, chickens today are more than four times the size they were just 60 years ago. The lack of genetic diversity poses a massive threat to the industry and makes the animals more susceptible to outbreaks. It is a threat to public health.
Sign this petition to help stop abuse in the poultry industry.
- Over 700 Vultures Die in Sanctuary After Avian Flu Outbreak
- First Person in UK Contracts Bird flu
- No Free-Range Eggs in UK Supermarkets Amid Biggest Avian Flu Outbreak
- Cockfighting Puts People at High Risk for Avian Flu
- 41 Bald Eagles in 15 States Have Died From Avian Influenza Since Late February
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!