Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
With summer right around the corner, excitement mounts at the idea of soaking up some rays on the beach or enjoying the extra hours of sunlight at a family picnic. But in the quest to protect our skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays, we often overlook the dangers of active ingredients in commercial sunscreens. A Centers for Disease Control study found that “97% of Americans are contaminated with a widely-used sunscreen ingredient called oxybenzone that has been linked to allergies, hormone disruption, and cell damage.” According to an analysis by the Environmental Working Group, this is because “sunlight causes oxybenzone to form free radical chemicals that may be linked to cell damage.” Oxybenzone, which is widely used, was also linked to low birth weights in baby girls whose mothers were exposed during pregnancy. Another active ingredient, octinoxate, has been linked to contact dermatitis, acne, and rashes from allergic reactions.
But there are many options to keep your skin protected and healthy this summer. Companies have created alternative sunscreen options that are made with natural or non-toxic active ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, forgoing harmful man-made chemicals that leave our skin vulnerable to a slew of allergic reactions and additional health risks.
Here are 5 amazing sunscreens that will leave you worry-free this summer!
1. Goddess Garden leads the way in natural and organic sunscreens, with their Baby Natural Sunscreen earning the title of number one sunscreen by the Environmental Working Group in 2011. The Natural Sunscreen has an SPF30 and is 92% organic, the highest in the market. The 3.5-ounce tube is priced at $14.99.
3. Green Screen Organic SPF20 Sunscreen by Kabana Organic Skincare is chemical, gluten, and corn-free. Their eco-friendly packaging is 100% recycled and the product itself is biodegradable, making it reef and environmentally friendly. Green Screen comes in 1, 4, and 8-ounce sizes priced at $5.99, $16.49, and $30.95 respectively.
4. LAVANILA strives for luxurious skincare free of petrochemicals, synthetic dyes, and parabens. Their The Healthy Sunscreen SPF30 Body Cream is infused with shea butter, green tea extract, and cooling cucumber. The 4-ounce tube is priced at $38.
5. Moisturize and protect your skin with Sunology SPF50 Body Sunscreen. Their unique formula contains antioxidants and omega oils that fight free radicals and degradation that keep your skin youthful under the sun’s harmful rays. The product retails at $14.99 for a 3-ounce tube, a markdown from the original price of $19.99.
All these companies offer a variety of products, from baby to sport and facial sunscreens. Check them out and find the one that works for your lifestyle!
- 15 Coral Reef-Safe and Cruelty-Free Sunscreens You Need This Summer!
- 8 Sunscreen Ingredients to Avoid, According to Experts
- Sunscreens: Toxic Chemicals to Look For and Safer Alternatives
- Puerto Rico is Working on Banning Coral-Damaging Sunscreen
- Hawaii Has Officially Banned Sunscreen Chemicals That Kill Coral Reefs!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!