Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Art has always been a powerful medium for conveying messages, emotions, and ideas. When combined with cutting-edge technology, it can take on a whole new dimension, captivating audiences and leaving a lasting impact. On September 15, 2023, New York City will play host to a groundbreaking event that melds art and science in a way that has never been seen before.
One thousand drones will converge above the city’s skyline, forming a mesmerizing multimedia show over the East River as one of the first sanctioned drone shows in the city. This unique spectacle is a collaborative effort between the non-profit organization Eat Differently, dedicated to promoting plant-based eating, and the nation of Brazil.
The event’s timing is significant, coinciding with several important global gatherings and initiatives. It aligns with the commencement of the United Nations General Assembly and the organization’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Summit to address 11 of the 17 SDGs. Additionally, it kicks off New York City’s Climate Week, a crucial event in the city’s commitment to addressing Climate change, commencing on September 17. The drone show is orchestrated by Nova Sky Stories under the leadership of Kimball Musk.
The heart of this mesmerizing evening will feature a series of climate action animations projected onto the canvas of the night sky, brought to life by 1,000 drones. These sky animations serve as a visual testament to important global initiatives, including:
- The Eat Differently Initiative: This movement seeks to inspire people to embrace plant-based diets, advocating for a shift away from animal-based foods. By promoting the idea that people can “eat plants, not animals,” Eat Differently aims to reduce the carbon footprint associated with meat consumption and promote healthier, more sustainable eating habits.
- Brazil’s Rainforest Preservation Campaign: Brazil, home to a significant portion of the world’s Amazon rainforest, has committed to saving 80% of its rainforest by 2030. This ambitious Conservation effort is critical to preserving biodiversity and mitigating Climate change, making it a focal point of the drone show.
- Support for the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): The United Nations’ SDGs are a global call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. The drone art experience aims to raise awareness of and Support for these vital goals, emphasizing the urgency of global cooperation in addressing pressing issues.
Sponsors for this event include Eat Differently, AVAAZ, The Ford Foundation, Fortescue, The Oceanic Preservation Society, Holtzman Wildlife, and TMRW. This event wouldn’t be possible without Nova Skystories, Minds Over Matter, Soren West, and HELO as production partnersQ
Spectators on both sides of the East River will have the opportunity to witness this breathtaking display of art and science, which starts at sunset. To enhance the experience, viewers will be encouraged to scan a QR code in the sky, leading them to an audio feed that accompanies the visuals, creating a multisensory journey of inspiration and education.
Louie Psihoyos, the Academy Award-winning director known for his work on “The Cove,” is the creative force behind this spectacular event. In his words, “Our creative teams have programmed a thousand drones to dance over the New York City skyline to form magical creatures that deliver messages on how to save the planet—you won’t want to miss this show.”
- Recycled Plastic ‘Poop’ Sculpture Highlights Ocean Pollution Crisis
- Cockfighting Ring Busted Thanks to Drone Footage
- How Drones Are Helping Activists and Environmentalists Find and Pursue Pollution Violations
- Vegan Activist Exposes Truth Behind Pig Slaughter in Australian Abattoirs
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!