Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Ocean Cleanup, a nonprofit engineering environmental organization based in the Netherlands, is using new technology to remove plastic waste from the ocean. The aim of this new solution is to create the first scalable technology to remove plastic waste from the world’s oceans.
The Ocean Cleanup CEO and Founder Boyan Slat said, “Our strategy is really twofold. On one hand, stop the source, preventing more plastic from going into the oceans and rivers. But at the same time, there’s already a lot of legacy plastic in the ocean, especially this Great Pacific Garbage Patch between Hawaii and California. It’s massive, and it doesn’t go away by itself. So we have to clean that up.”
The new technology involves plastic interceptors, which are solar-powered barrier and conveyor systems that use river currents to pull plastic into containers.
Slat said, “If you look at coastlines, coastlines are actually very effective ways of catching plastic. If you see it on the beach, it’s out of the ocean, stays out of the ocean. Basically, we’ve developed very long, floating barriers that we drag through the patch. And it catches and then concentrates the plastic before we can take it out. If everything goes well, in a few weeks, from now we hope to see a system completely filled with plastic. And if that works, then we can with confidence say that the technology works, and we can scale this up.”
The Ocean Cleanup hopes that they will be able to scale this technology in order to put a much larger dent in the ocean’s plastic Pollution.
Sign this petition to demand that U.S. state governments force plastic-producing corporations to pay for the costs they’ve inflicted on our environment! They made the mess. Now they should shoulder responsibility for cleaning it up.
- 20 Firms Produce 55% of the Worlds Plastic Waste, Per New Report
- Artists Recreate Chilean Landscapes Using Plastic Waste
- Another Cow Found with 71 Kilos of Plastic Waste in Stomach
- Fossil Fuel Companies Lobbying to Dump Plastic Waste in Kenya and Other African Nations
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!