Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 7 petitions you should sign this week, including Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy, Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers, and Demand TikTok and Instagram Take a Firm Stance Against Animal Exploitation!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy
Source: Wall Street Journal/Youtube
The opioid epidemic in the United States has taken countless lives, but at the same time, many people need these prescribed medications for pain management. We need to find a middle ground between cracking down on opioid misuse and over-prescription and maintaining access to the pain management tool for legitimate uses. The US, thankfully, is regulating the use of opioids like fentanyl more, but medical experts say that the government is overcorrecting and even denying prescription painkillers to patients who truly need them!
In a heartbreaking case recently, two people died by suicide a week after the DEA banned their doctor from prescribing legitimate opioid pills. We need to find a balance between cracking down on opioid misuse or over-prescription and maintaining access to those legitimate uses.
Sign this petition to demand that the DEA revise its opioid regulation strategy!
2. Free Two Beagle Puppies Who Are Facing Death in Police Custody
Source: Animal Rebellion/Youtube
Recently, activists broke in and freed 18 beagle puppies from an animal testing facility. Unfortunately, two of the dogs, Love and Libby, were captured by the police and are now considering them “contaminated property” and will be killed if they aren’t released. These innocent puppies are not property or evidence, and they deserve to live a life after the horrid conditions that they experienced at the animal testing facility. The facility needs to be shut down, and Love and Libby need to be freed!
Sign this petition to demand Cambridgeshire Police release Love and Libby to a sanctuary so they can live the lives they deserve!
3. Demand TikTok and Instagram Take a Firm Stance Against Animal Exploitation
Source: Good Morning America/Youtube
A groomer in Freeport, Illinois, is facing extreme backlash after she dyed a dog’s hair green to make him look like the Grinch for Christmas. Ashley Spielmann decided to dye her miniature schnauzer Rizzo to look like the Grinch and went to local groomer Hailey Degner. When Hailey shared her work on TikTok, it blew up, and while she received some supportive comments, many were upset that she would dye the dog’s hair. It is not ok to exploit animals for our entertainment to gain internet notoriety.
Sign this petition to demand that TikTok and Instagram take a firmer stance against animal exploitation and animal abuse on their platforms!
4. Demand Proper Oversight for Edmonton Zoo After Years of Welfare Concerns
Source: LEAP Edmonton/Youtube
For years, the Edmonton Valley Zoo has faced much scrutiny for the mismanagement of the animals in their care. Lucy the elephant gained worldwide attention for the mismanagement of the elephant by the zoo. The Valley Zoo has been listed as one of the top 10 worst zoos for elephants on the continent by In Defense of Animals for over a decade. There are numerous concerns around Lucy and the other animals at the zoo, and we need to make sure that there is proper oversight to address the safety and animal welfare concerns at the zoo.
Sign this petition to demand that the Mayor and City Council create an animal welfare oversight committee that would advise the city on issues related to the care of the animals at the zoo.
5. Tell Alabama to Ban the Death Penalty After Three Botched Lethal Injections
Source: NBC News/Youtube
For the third time in the last five years, lethal injection has failed in the state of Alabama. A botched lethal injection is torture and one of the reasons that we should abolish the death penalty. Alabama governor Kay Ivey has ordered a stop to executions while they review the state’s death penalty system before any more inmates are killed. While no federal law against the death penalty exists, states should take responsibility and abolish the practice.
Sign this petition to tell Alabama legislators to ban the death penalty for good!
6. Pass New Bill That Would Help Hold Factory Farms Accountable
A new bill introduced by Senator Cory Booker could finally help hold factory farms accountable and reduce the suffering of millions of farm animals across the US. The Industrial Agriculture Accountability Act of 2022 would end line-speed increases, which are awful and dangerous for animals and workers. It would also end self-inspection loopholes for animal slaughter and protect sick and injured animals that are kept alive and suffering until their ultimate slaughter. We need to push the Senate to pass the bill quickly before the end of the year!
Sign this petition to tell the Senate to pass the Industrial Agriculture Accountability Act of 2022!
7. Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers
Source: Spotlight on China/Youtube
Shein is a billion-dollar corporation and is famous for their low prices and variety of clothes, but that all comes at a cost. The company is infamously horrible for the environment and violates labor laws. A recent undercover investigation led by the U.K. team with Channel 4 found shocking and inhumane labor conditions. In Chinese factories, they found employees working as long as 18 hours in a single day with only one single day off in an entire month. They found at one facility, women had to use their lunch breaks to wash their hair because they had no time to bathe. On top of all of this, they are paid almost nothing. Around $0.04 per garment they produced.
Sign this petition to demand that Chris Xu, the billionaire founder and CEO of Shein, abide by Chinese labor laws and provide living wages to his workers!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!