Lilly Singh has been breaking barriers as the first bisexual woman of color to host a late night talk show! The show, A Little Late With Lilly Singh aired in September. As late night talk show hosts do, Singh gives a monologue at the start of her show and in a recent one, she added her voice to other important causes.

While joking and engaging her audience, she used the opportunity to also advocate for eating meatless! She explained her reasons as being wanting not to eat and kill animals and save the planet. About her decision to become vegetarian, she says, “If I could live without killing an animal, why shouldn’t I?”

She also used the opportunity to talk about the environmental benefits of not eating meat, explaining: “One reason I wanted to go vegetarian was to help save the environment. Did you know that livestock farms count for 18 percent of the Earth’s greenhouse emissions?” She followed the very serious statement with a funny joke: “The other 82 percent? Every fast and the furious movie.”

The monologue quips about the challenges in being vegetarian like people not really understanding what it means, turning down food, and sometimes not finding many options, but she also excitedly talked about the meatless options constantly popping up in fast food chains and restaurants, saying: “Now every fast food restaurant has vegetarian options.”

Toward the end of the monologue, she left her audience with something that will hopefully leave them thinking and spark some lifestyle changes: “I highly recommend it. You’re saving animals, you’re saving the planet, you’re saving a lot of time at Thanksgiving.”

If you’d like to eat meatless for animals and the planet like Lilly Singh, we highly recommend downloading our Food Monster App, which is available for iPhone. The app has more than 15,000 plant-based, allergy-friendly recipes, and subscribers gain access to new recipes every day. Check it out!

For more Animal, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, don’t forget to subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter!

Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please support us!

Lead Image Source: DFree/Shutterstock