Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Mallkini is the world’s largest privately-owned alpaca farm, near Muñani, Peru. It is owned by the Michell Group, the world’s largest exporter of alpaca tops and yarn. Recently PETA released an exposé revealing the abuse that alpacas endure at the wool farm and it’s absolutely gut-wrenching.
The workers at the wool farm were caught on video roughly handling and tying down alpacas that are clearly terrified. They pull them up from the floor by their tails and yank them around. Pregnant alpacas were slammed onto tables and their legs were pulled on a device so hard that they were nearly pulled from their sockets.
Warning: the video below contains distressing and graphic content. Please use discretion.
As can be seen in the video above, the terrified alpacas spit, cry, and vomit from fear as they are mistreated. As prey animals, they “have an innate instinct to flee from danger and potential harm. Restraining them on their backs and sides would cause fear, panic, and severe psychological distress,” according to an expert.
The investigation includes photos of alpacas with bloody limbs, injured mouths, severed eyelids, and more.
What You Can Do
You can fill out PETA’s form which goes to companies asking them to stop selling alpaca. Thanks to investigations like this, Gap Inc. and H&M have cut ties with Michell and ESPRIT will now phase out alpaca. You can make a difference by speaking up for these suffering animals.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!