Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A viral video featuring a 16-year-old dog named Butch choosing the cozy comfort of sleep over a walk with his human has warmed hearts everywhere!
The endearing video, originally shared on TikTok by the account @WeAreTheBastians, has since become an online sensation. In it, Butch, the elderly canine, can be seen nestled comfortably on his human’s bed, blissfully unaware of the calls to join his owner for a walk.
As Butch’s human persistently beckons him to join her outside, the senior dog remains steadfast in his pursuit of sleep. Towards the end of the video, a sly observer might notice a subtle “side-eyed glance” from Butch, suggesting that he might just be feigning deep slumber to avoid leaving his cozy haven. The humorous caption accompanying the video aptly reads, “the side eye at the end.”
This heartwarming moment underscores an important aspect of canine well-being—sleep. According to the Sleep Foundation, an organization dedicated to researching and publishing information about sleep and health, the average adult dog requires between eight to 13 hours of sleep per day. For puppies, research suggests that they sleep approximately 11 hours per day. Elderly dogs, like Butch, often need even more rest to maintain their health and vitality.
Since its initial sharing on September 7, the TikTok video has garnered over 520,000 likes and has been commented on more than 2,300 times. The comments section is filled with users who find the viral moment utterly relatable, and some even jokingly urge Butch’s owner to let him enjoy a little more shut-eye.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- 5 Times Dogs Were Caught Napping in the Strangest Positions
- Service Dog Falls Asleep While Meeting Mickey Mouse at Disney World
- New Study Reveals the Sleep Challenges of Dogs with Dementia
- Sweet Girl Won’t Sleep Until She Tucks Her Dog in
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!