Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
In a TikTok video that has touched millions of viewers, an orange cat named Shambles emerged from the shadows of harsh street life to find a new chance at happiness. Shared by Haley, who goes by the username @jankycats, this video has brought both tears and hope to the online community.
Haley’s adventure began when she noticed a heartbreaking sight – a bony orange cat struggling in a pile of trash. Unable to turn a blind eye, she decided to help Shambles and change his life forever. The initial video shows the timid cat sitting in a carrier, his eyes reflecting a mixture of fear and gratitude.
Subsequent clips revealed the grim reality of Shambles’ condition. The two-year-old feline suffered from a degloving injury, a traumatic ordeal that tears away the top layers of skin and tissue from underlying muscles, connective tissues, or bones. Additionally, his paws were severely burnt, making movement painful and challenging. Shambles was also plagued by several other life-threatening issues, leaving Haley to conclude that he wouldn’t have survived much longer on the unforgiving streets.
Further medical examination revealed that Shambles had sustained lasting kidney damage, presumably from ingesting something toxic during his struggle for survival. Dr. Anna Foreman, a veterinarian, emphasized that such diagnoses, though heartbreaking, are not uncommon in the veterinary field, especially among young cats.
Shambles’ journey from the brink of despair to newfound hope has resonated deeply with viewers. The TikTok video, shared on August 3, has garnered a staggering 5.2 million views and over 759,000 likes, a testament to the compassion and empathy of the online community. The accompanying on-screen text poignantly reminds us that despite a life marred by suffering, Shambles is not ready to give up the fight.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shop. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Watch Shelter Dogs and Cats Go From Sad to Ecstatic After Receiving Surprise Christmas Toys! (VIDEO)
- Meet the 5-Year-Old ‘Catman,’ a Caped Crusader Who is Helping Philadelphia’s Strays (VIDEO)
- This Cat Found His One True Love… a Bulldog Named Sadie (VIDEO)
- Millie Bobby Brown Asks Mom to Stop Sending Her Sad Animal TikToks
- Veterinarian Returns to Greece to Help Stray Cats
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!