An Instagram influencer was filmed kicking a dog while smiling, and users were quick to condemn her actions and accuse her of animal abuse. The influencer, who goes by Kajalofficial Kiran, has since apologized.
How can you be so insensitive toward these voiceless souls
— Vidit Sharma 🇮🇳 (@TheViditsharma) November 30, 2022
The influencer, Kajal Kiran posted the clip on Instagram to her 121,000 followers, according to India Today. The video has since been deleted from her page. The clip shows the woman calling a dog over and encouraging him to come closer before kicking the poor animal away. After the dog yelped, Kiran turned and smiled while she and those behind the camera laughed.
The video quickly circled the internet, with many calling on the Mumbai police to charge the woman. Vidit Sharma, the founder of an Indian dog charity, shared the video on Twitter with the caption,
“How can you be so insensitive towards these voiceless souls.”
Kiran reportedly later uploaded a video in which she apologized for the “cruel act” which she said happened in the “heat of the moment.”
“I regret my actions and didn’t realize the gravity at that point of time. I vow to not harm any animals,” the caption read.
Kiran’s Instagram account was temporarily made private but she has since gone back to her normal posts.
Animal abuse is more prevalent than many may think. According to PetPedia, every 60 seconds, an animal suffers from abuse, with more than 65 percent being dogs. More than 10 million animals die from abuse every year in the US alone, not including the livestock bred for consumption, who also suffer immense abuse. Animal abuse happens everywhere and is a serious issue. We need more laws to protect animals and hold abusers accountable. Sign this petition to demand all states make all animal abuse a felony now!
- Watch Out for Social Media Influencers Promoting Dangerous Tanning Products
- Petition: Hold Influencer Responsible for Tattooing Her Cat
- 8 Black, Intersectional Vegan Influencers You Need to Follow and Support Immediately
- Backlash After Social Media Influencers Irresponsibly Pose with Monkeys for Marketing Campaign
- Petition: Deplatform Social Media Influencers Lele Pons and Guaynaa for Animal Cruelty
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!