This is a meat-free take on chicken Francese, a French dish consisting of battered chicken that is served with a lemony, buttery, and memorable sauce. In this dish, tofu is battered, then fried and served over a bed of pasta. Between the crisp tofu and the citrusy sauce, this dish is a real crowd-pleaser.
Tofu Francese [Vegan]
For the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu, sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3-4 tablespoons vegan egg replacer
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- 3-4 cups vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup vegan Parmesan
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 4 servings cooked linguini
- Vegan Parmesan, for topping
To Make the Tofu:
- Fill a small pot fill midway with vegetable oil. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl combine lemon juice, vegan egg powder, and almond milk. Lightly drain tofu blocks with paper towels, slice, set aside.
- Lay out a cooling rack on top of paper towels.
- Once the oil is hot enough, you can test it by tossing in a small bit of something and wait for a sizzle, dredge in the vegan egg mixture, then the flour mixture; shake off excess and toss into the oil. Tofu patties should cook to a light brown in 2-3 minutes. Remove, set aside to drain any residual oil. Continue until all patties are done.
To Make the Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add lemon juice and white wine (if desired). Add 2 3/4 cups of broth and parsley. Bring to a boil and stir for approximately 5 minutes. Combine remaining stock with 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch and stir together until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and stir constantly until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce, top with the tofu patties, sliced lemons, parsley, and vegan Parmesan.