Espinacas con Garbanzos is a type of tapa from the Andalusian region which is prepared with spinach (espinacas) and chickpeas (garbanzos), it seems to be an odd combination but wait till you try them.
Espinacas con Garbanzos: Spinach with Chickpeas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 14-ounces can chickpeas, drained
- 4-ounces fresh baby spinach washed
- 4 thick cut slices stale baguette, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a pan heat olive oil then add in the cubed baguette, cook until browned and crispy.
- Push bread on the side then add more oil then sauté garlic, cumin, and cayenne. Combine it with the cubed baguette. Turn heat off.
- Place bread and spices on a food processor then pulse to make breadcrumbs.
- Place back the bread crumbs into the pan together with chickpeas, red wine vinegar, and tomato sauce. Add a bit of water to give it some moisture then cook for a minute. Stir gently and make sure the chickpeas are coated with the sauce.
- Add the spinach and paprika then cook to wilt.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle some olive oil on top then serve.