There are some days when I get this weird craving for a really good burger. Like a super substantial, stick to your ribs, hearty bad-ass burger. Today was one of those days I guess. Now my main issue that I have with some veggie burgers is that they are all veg and some flour. Nothing really there. For me, I want something with some protein and some good fats and nutrients; my body needs these things. I've been playing around with some different combinations, but I keep coming back to good ol’ hemp seeds. They give the burgers a nice little chew and some heartiness.
Smoky Black Bean and Hemp Seed Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2/3 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 3-4 tablespoon minced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced parsley
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or any flour will do)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A dash of cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start of by mixing the ground flax meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside
- Place black beans in a food processor and pulse. You want some chunks here but a good mash is what we are looking for.
- Add black beans to a mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients (see notes).
- Add in flax egg.
- Form into four big patties and place on a plate.
- Heat up a medium skillet and spray liberally with cooking spray. Place patties in pan and cook about 5 minutes each side. You want a nice crisp on the outside and also make sure that they are heated through.
- Serve with your favorite bun and add any toppings you like.
The ingredients will seems dry at first but keep mixing and really mash it together. It will firm up.