This recipe in particular is one of my favorites. Not only does it make a great little snack (especially if you have everything prepared and ready to go), but it’s a fun party hors d’oeuvre idea, a salad topper and even a whole meal when served with some greens. Versatile or what? Plus, anything that incorporates cheater vegan cheese is kind of essential, no?
Russet Potato Croquettes With Roasted Tomato Salsa [Vegan]
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 whole head of garlic, outer skin removed + top cut off
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sel de mer, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350F. Slice russet potatoes thinly, spread on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and bake for 55 minutes until crispy.
- Halfway through your baking time, place chopped tomatoes + a whole head of garlic (both drizzled with oil) on a separate baking sheet). Toss these into the oven and bake about 25 minutes until cooked thoroughly. You’ll see a little browning start to happen on the edges. Garlic should be soft.
- While these bake, combine tahini, lemon juice and nutritional yeast to make your vegan cheese. Form the cheese into little cubes with your fingers.
- Remove everything from the oven, allowing potatoes to cool a bit. Put tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic, green onions and remaining spices into the food processor. Pulse a few times until chunky and combined.
- Layer: potato, salsa, vegan cheese cube. Sprinkle with sel de mer and serve.