This roasted rhubarb and vanilla cream raw pie is healthy and light, yet super satisfying. Set on a cashew, almond, and date crust, the vanilla bean layer has a hint of coconut, and the rhubarb takes on a sweeter taste after the natural sugars are caramelized. Delish!
Roasted Rhubarb Vanilla Cream Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked for 6-8 hrs
- 3/4 cup raisins or dates, soaked for at least 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 4-8 hours
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 4 large rhubarb stalks
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F and roast rhubarb on a baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Using a food processor or blender, combine raw almonds, raisins or dates, and 1/2 cup coconut oil until smooth. Press this crust into the bottom of a spring-form pan. Set in the freezer while making the filling.
- Clean out the blender or food processor. Add the drained cashews, 1/2 cup coconut oil, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla, and blend on high until super smooth and creamy. Pour over the set crust and place back in the freezer while making the topping.
- Clean out the blender or food processor and add rhubarb, 3 tablespoons coconut oil, and coconut sugar. Pour topping evenly over the vanilla cream and allow to set in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.