This carrot cake is packed full of fresh, nutritious goodness and bursting with delicious flavors such sweet carrots, orange, lemon, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and vanilla. Of course, carrot cake wouldn’t be complete without a frosting. The frosting is a combination of soaked cashew, coconut oil, coconut nectar, and a dash of vanilla. The addition of lemon and orange juice gives this frosting a delicious citrus flavor that work like a dream.
Raw Zucchini Carrot Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup gluten-free oats or buckwheat flour, to make it grain-free
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried figs
- 1/2 cup soft dates
- Zest from one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups cashew, soaked
- 1 teaspoon lucuma powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
To Make the Cake:
- In a food processor, grind the oats, flax seeds and shredded coconut to flour. Add the dates, figs, and orange zest and process until the mixture starts sticking together.
- In a large bowl, mix together grated carrots and zucchini. Add the mixture of flours and dried fruits and stir well. Form into a small loaf. Dehydrate at 140°F for 1 hour. Decrease heat to 105°F and continue to dehydrate about 3 hours.
To Make the Frosting:
- Rinse the soaked cashews well. Place the cashews, coconut oil, lemon and orange juice, coconut nectar, vanilla, and lucuma powder in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- The cake does need to be cooled completely before frosting. Cover the cake with a thin layer of frosting. Place the cake in the refrigerator so the icing can set, about 30 minutes. Decorate and serve.