This pie is a real crowd-pleaser, perfect for a cooling treat on a warm spring day or a special occasion with family and friends. I promise if you bring this baby out, mouths will drop! Shhh, no one has to know that it's non-dairy.
Raw Chocolate Mint Grasshopper Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Perfect Raw Vegan Crust:
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of pecans
- 1 cup of dates (soaked for 5 minutes in warm water **reserve the water to use as sweetener)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups of cashews, soaked 4-8 hours (the longer, the easier to work with)
- 1 small handful of fresh mint leaves (if you can get your hands on the fresh stuff, try a few drops of extract)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp of agave
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp of spirulina (makes that gorgeous green color!)
For the pie crust:
- Add the walnuts & pecans to your food processor & pulse until they are broken down. Then add your soaked, pitted dates and 1 tbsp of the date soaking water, cinnamon & salt. Pulse to combine until it sticks together.
- I like to line the bottom of whatever I’m using (bowls or cake pan) with parchment paper, then I just spoon it in and put it in the fridge to set while I make the filling.
For the filling:
- Prepare your crust and press it into the bottom of a lightly coconut oiled 6-inch spring form pan (I’m sure a regular pie plate works too – or an 8-inch glass dish – whatever you have on hand). Place in the freezer to harden.
- Drain your cashews and add them to a high powered blender along with all of the other ingredients. Remove your prepared crust from the freezer & pour the filling on top and smooth it out. Place in the freezer and allow to set for at least 4 hours. Ideally, you would make this the night before and have it set over night (or first thing in the morning and have it set during the day).
- Once it’s set, you can remove and enjoy as is, or dress it up a bit. Try coconut flakes, chopped fresh mint, etc. I made a ganache out of equal parts coconut oil and cacao powder with a bit of agave. I placed a cookie cutter in the center and pressed it in gently and poured the ganache in ensuring it smoothed out into the entire cookie cutter. I placed this in the freezer for about 30 minutes. I took out the cake and garnished with cacao nibs.